FULL TIME: 6 months (including industry placement)
PART TIME: 6 months
This course will give you a solid foundation of all things culinary.
You’ll learn about nutrition, food safety and kitchen hygiene, and you’ll master the fundamental knife skills and cooking methods that any budding chef needs for a thriving career in the culinary world. Not only will you learn to bake bread and produce some timeless classics, but we’ll also teach you to prepare meals with flair.
Hands-on experience: Once you’ve learnt the kitchen essentials, it’s time to test these out in a nine-week industry visit, of which one week will be spent in a high-volume bakery. You will also participate in a chef table, which involves producing ready-made meals.
Once you have completed this course, you will have the skills to become a commis chef.
This course is perfect for anyone who wants to kick-start their career in the culinary industry; or for foodies looking to master the basics of being a good chef.
If you want to continue your studies, you can choose to pursue our Diploma in Culinary Arts, or a Diploma in Patisserie.
- City & Guilds Food Safety in Catering
- City & Guilds Certificate in Culinary Arts
- Chefs Training & Innovation Academy Certificate of Achievement – Certificate in Culinary Arts
Practical and theoretical subjects
- Introduction to the Hospitality and catering industry
- Introduction to Kitchen Equipment
- Health and safety awareness
- Food safety in catering
- Knife skills
- Cooking methods: boiling; poaching and steaming; deep and shallow frying; braising and stewing; baking roasting and grilling
- Healthier food and Special Diets
- Cold presentation
- Regeneration and pre-prepared foods
- Preserving techniques
- Introduction to personal and workplace skills
- Basic food costing
- South African cuisine studies
- Kitchen terminology
- Basic first aid
- Basic fire training
- CTIA midterm exam, final theory exam, practical exam
- City & Guilds theory exam (City & Guilds Code 8065-01), City & Guilds Food Safety exam